Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bread Talk

Zade and I usually eat two loaves of bread a week, and this doesn't include sweet bread. Each loaf is about AUD4, which means I spend AUD8 for bread a week or AUD36 a month. It could easily be more if I buy sweet breads. There are cheaper breads but they are just not worth buying. Anyway, I've been reading that breads that are sold at the supermarket are not really bread and they are unhealthy as it is full of additives. I've read on a few blogs on how easy it is to actually make your own bread, and not to mention cheaper and healthier. So, I've finally summoned up the courage give it a try.

I found a simple recipe which had only a few ingredients and seem easy enough to make. The ingredients:
1 1/4 cup water/milk
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon salt
i teaspoon dry yeast
2 tablespoon butter
4 cups flour

The preparation took about 2 and a half hours which include rising time and another half an hour for baking. But the result is really amazing. The taste of the bread while it's still warm is just scrumptious. Definitely worth the effort. And not only does it taste better than the store bought bread, it cost only a fraction of the price. Yummy!


Dough left to rise in the mixing bowl


Dough left to rise in the baking tin


Ready to bake


A beautiful loaf of bread

No comments:

Post a Comment